NEW PUBLICATION: Christoph Scherrer, Katja Radon (Eds.): Occupational Safety and Health Challenges in Southern Agriculture
Labor and Globalization, edited by Christoph Scherrer, Volume 15, ISBN 978-3-95710-247-8, Rainer Hampp Verlag, Augsburg, München 2019, 195 S., € 24.80
Occupational safety and health (OSH) is a core element of International Labour Organization’s #DecentWork Agenda. Despite hazardous working conditions in agriculture, unfortunately, OSH issues in agriculture are frequently ignored. This volume’s contributions from Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Ghana, India, Nicaragua, and Pakistan as well as from various disciplines.
– the prevalent patriarchal norms and practices which expose women to more health risks;
– the lack of training and education which leave smallholders and farm workers frequently unaware of the health hazards involved in handling machinery and pesticides;
– the lack of protective gear and access to health services among smallholders;
– the undermining of OSH standards by the competitive pressures of global supply chains on their participants;
– the restriction of certifications’ impact mostly to higher hygiene standards.
#Occupationalsafety and health , #agriculture, #smallholders, farm workers, #GlobalSouth
PDF ➡️ https://bit.ly/2woXcTH